More than forty years of research consistently documents the power of the immersion programs to help students attain high levels of second language proficiency. No other type of instruction, short of living in a second language environment, is as successful.
Young children especially thrive in this type of instructional environment. Happily, language immersion is also the least expensive way to deliver second language instruction.
- Second Language Skills
- Students achieve high proficiency in the immersion language.
- Improved Performance on Standardized Tests
- Immersion students perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests of English and math administered in English.
- Enhanced Cognitive Skills
- Immersion students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills as well as enhanced understanding of their primary language.
- Increased Cultural Sensitivity
- Immersion students are more aware of and show more positive attitudes towards others cultures and appreciation of other people.
- Long Term Benefits
- Immersion students are better prepared for the global community and job markets where a second language is an asset.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN A DUAL IMMERSION PROGRAM?
Dual immersion offers a rich bilingual experience for young learners when their minds are developmentally best able to acquire a second language.
Students enjoy the advantage of two caring, qualified teachers. The English- speaking teacher uses half of the instruction day to teach English language arts (reading, writing, and spelling) as well as other subjects of the curriculum (science, social studies, math, etc)
The Spanish-speaking teacher uses the other half of the time or the day to teach Spanish Literacy, Math, and portions of social studies, art, science, music. P. E. and health topics from the grade-appropriate level of the Utah State Core Curriculum
In class, the Spanish teacher speaks only in Spanish and communicates using a range of engaging strategies including pictures, songs, games, body language, expressions, drama, pantomime, etc. Children at this age adept a picking up language in meaningful context. After a brief period at the beginning of the year, students too will speak only in Spanish during the Spanish class.
You’ll be delighted how quickly your child becomes a comfortable and competent Spanish speaker.
- Spanish opens the doors to many domestic and international career opportunities.
- Sophisticated professions such as those in medicine, international distribution, the oil and gas industry, power generation, luxury goods, aviation and other transportation technologies encompass extensive Spanish-speaking networks.
- Knowledge of the Spanish language is also an asset in the fields of literature, the fine arts, gastronomy, cinema, law, and business. Scores of major international businesses and organizations, as well as American companies, regularly recruit candidates who speak Spanish.
- Students who learn Spanish perform better on standardized tests since more than 50% of modern-day English words trace their origins to Spanish. This means that Spanish has a relatively quick learning curve which boosts a student’s confidence.
For information about enrolling your child in our school, please contact us:
1795 West 1230 North
St. George, UT 84770
Phone: (435) 673-8978
Fax: (435) 673-6303